Monday, June 29, 2009

Eat Real: Pancakes, Farts & Yoga

Tonight we had pancakes for dinner. I make them ahead of time, freeze and warm them up in the toaster oven. This is the easiest dinner in the world. What always makes mealtime exciting is the fact that I have 3 boys and they always take this opportunity to be as gross as possible. It doesn't matter what threats I make... they literally can't help themselves. So, I waste my breath, correct them each time and enjoy the few seconds of peace until the next gross display of manhood. Sometimes, when I loose it, they have to kneel in the corner... Tonight, it was fart sounds on their arms (in addition to real farts, of course).

The really upsetting part of this is that my youngest, who will only be 3 in July, knows how to do it to perfection. I can thank his next older brother for teaching him this life affirming skill.

Tonight, thank God, is also Yoga night. If you haven't tried it yet, give a go. It is awesome! I've finally found the best instructor for me. Everything she says in class just makes me feel centered, confident, perfect. That is the goal for anyone, right? We are all perfect, fart sounds and all... However, we forget that and get caught up in negative self talk, self doubt, uncertainty. So what, if I can't bend very well or stand on my head - I still feel perfect after this class.

This is my wish for you - to know that you are already perfect. Be happy with who you are now and choose for yourself what path you may follow. Namaste.

Pancakes for Dinner:
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. sunflower oil
1 large egg, beat lightly
1 1/4 cups spelt flour
2 tbsp. Rapadura sugar
1/2 tsp. aluminum free baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt


Soak oatmeal in buttermilk for 10 min. Add vanilla, oil & egg. Add dry ingredients, stir and spoon onto hot fry pan. Add chocolate chips, then flip and cook on the other side.